Name/TitleChemicals: Aqua Destillata
About this objectLarge glass bottle made from clear aqua-tinted glass with cork stopper. The small paper label details ‘Aqua Destillata, F.H. FAULDING & CO., 54, Great Tower Street, London, E.C. Adelaide, Perth & Sydney, Australia’. A quantity of clear liquid remains in the bottle and crystals or residue is covering the inside of the bottle. Originally, distilled water was contained in the bottle.
If there is a glass manufacturer's mark on the bottle, it is illegible. The push up on the bottom of the bottle is small with a small raised circle in the middle of it, possibly a pontil mark. There are no mould seams on the bottle. The lip of the bottle is at a slight angle indicating that it may have been applied with a lipping tool. These details plus the clear aqua coloured glass date the bottle to the early 20th century. Dr Nancarrow purchased the Alberton Medical Clinic in May 1949. The practice had started with Dr A V Benson in 1890, followed by Dr Coverton, Dr St John-Poole, Dr Bertram Jolly in 1944. When Dr Nancarrow retired and closed the practice in 2012, the Heritage Office took the century of medical artefacts into the collection.
Date MadeCa 1920
Medium and MaterialsGlass, cork, paper, pharmaceutical chemical liquid
MeasurementsH33 x base diameter 14 cm
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved