About this objectStethoscope of Dr Richard (Dr Harry) Burnell. The stethoscope was gifted to him by Dr Bernard Nicholson, at the time of Harry's graduation from the University of Adelaide Medical School in 1959, and was used throughout his entire career until his retirement in 2009. Kindly donated by Dr Harry.
'Yale Stethoscope', 'Becton Dickinson & Co', and, 'B-D' are debossed on the back. The glass lens is transparent green in colour.
Date MadeCa 1920s
Medium and MaterialsGlass, metal, rubber
Subject and Association DescriptionDr Richard "Harry" Burnell grew up in Adelaide, attending St Peter's Boys College. Harry graduated from the Adelaide University Medical School in 1959. He undertook an internship at the former Royal Adelaide Hospital (now Lot 14), completing this in 1960. Harry then worked as a Junior Medical Officer at the Women's and Children's Hospital, North Adelaide (1961-1965), and worked and trained in paediatrics in the United States of America (1966-1967) and the United Kingdom (1968-1970). After this he arrived back in Adelaide in 1970, where he was one of six heads of units at the Women's and Children's Hospital, saw the construction of multiple new wings there, and the development of paediatric private practice. Along with Dr Robert Byrne, Harry was involved in the research and prevention of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). In his role as consultant physician and senior lecturer in paediatrics at the Women's and Children's Hospital, he provided evidence, in the Legislative Council, against the findings of several reports handed down by the now ill reputed State Coroner Dr Colin Manock. He also prevented a serial smotherer from repeating the crime on her newest baby. Dr Harry retired in 2009. When asked by hospital staff why he loved his role so much he replied, "I just love children". Harry married nurse Jeannette Norgrove Lewis, and had two children of his own. Harry passed away at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in November 2021.
Bernard Nicholson was born in the United Kingdom where he completed medical school at The Royal London Hospital Medical College, and went on to serve in the Royal Army Medical Corp during WW2 as a graded psychiatrist. He emigrated to South Australia where he became deputy superintendent of the Parkside Mental Hospital (1949-1950), and acting superintendent of Mental Institutions South Australia (1950). Bernard then worked as honorary assistant to the Director, Psychiatric Clinic, former Royal Adelaide Hospital (1950-1951) then Medical Superintendent (1951-1975). In 1989 he was appointed Emeritus Medical Superintendent, former Royal Adelaide Hospital. During his entire career and also into retirement, Bernard was involved in a number of medical boards. He was instrumental in the founding of the Health Museum of SA (formerly RAH Heritage Office) and volunteered for many years until his passing in 2003.
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved