Name/TitleChemical: Anaesthetic Ether B.P.
About this objectLarge, transparent, brown glass bottle for 5 pounds of Anaesthetic Ether B.P. (empty).
A cream coloured pasted label on the bottle, with blue and red text, has various information such as: 'Poison: Not to be Taken', 'This ether contains 0.002% w/v of Hydroquinone as a preservative, in accordance with the B.P.', 'Highly Inflammable', and, 'Caution: Keep well corked in a cool, dark place'. A damaged cork is in the mouth of the bottle. A date stamp reads 'Use Before Jul 1967'.
The ether was made in Sydney, Australia by Woolwich-Elliott Chemical Company Pty Ltd.
The manufacturer's mark on the push up on the bottom of the bottle reveals that it was made by Australian Glass Manufacturers. The mark has been applied with a separate mould piece to the sides of the bottle. 'IS.82 7' is also printed on the base. The glass mould seam goes all of the way through the lip and partly into the base. The mould marks indicate that it has been made with an automatic bottle machine.
The bottle was donated by Dr Nancarrow. Dr Nancarrow purchased the Alberton Medical Clinic in May 1949. The practice had started with Dr A V Benson in 1890, followed by Dr Coverton, Dr St John-Poole, and Dr Bertram Jolly in 1944. When Dr Nancarrow retired and closed the practice in 2012, the Heritage Office took the century of medical artifacts into the collection.
Date MadePre 1967
Place MadeSydney, Australia
Medium and MaterialsGlass, cork, paper, ink
MeasurementsH36 x diameter 13.5 cm
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved