The Metropolitan Infectious Diseases Hospital was established on 7th October 1932 by the South Australian Government, much to the relief of the overcrowded Infectious Diseases Block at the Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace. The hospital was designed to care for and accommodate patients with infectious diseases such as polio, scarlet fever, measles and diphtheria.
The new Metropolitan Infectious Diseases Hospital was an autonomous organisation controlled by its own Board of Management and its finance was maintained solely by the contributions of local councils.
Percival Thomas Spower Cherry, MBBS, served on the Board of Management at the time the new Infectious Diseases Hospital was established. He was appointed as one of the two doctors representing the British Medical Association on the board, along with Dr. H.H.E. Russell. (Source: Advertiser (Adelaide, SA), Friday 20 December 1929, page 27)
CHERRY, Percival Thomas Spower, M.B.B.S. (Adelaide)
DATE & PLACE OF BIRTH
Percival Thomas Spower Cherry was born on the 2nd December 1885 In Wilmington, South Australia, the son of Emma Jane Cherry (nee King) and “Major” William Herbert Cherry.
He was baptised on the 22nd September 1886, at St. Paul’s (Church of England), St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide, South Australia.
Primary & Secondary: Norwood and Currie Street Schools, and later at St Peter’s College.
Tertiary: Graduated in 1908 from the University of Adelaide with degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
Born in Wilmington SA, his family moved to the city when he was a boy (age unknown). At the time of his marriage, he is recorded as living in Port Adelaide. In 1943, the Australian Electoral Roll gives his address as 23 Brougham Place, Alberton, South Australia.
MARRIAGE & FAMILY
Percival T.S. Cherry married Ieleen Standish Moyers on the 7th August, 1912, in the same church he had been baptised in (St Paul’s in Port Adelaide).
His wife, Ieleen Standish Moyers was born on the 16th April 1888 in Yatala, Port Adelaide, South Australia.
They had one daughter and three sons:
- Aileen Cherry (no known dates)
- Arthur Kenneth Cherry (1914-1974)
- Alan Percival Cherry (1917-1958)
- Edward Percival Cherry (no known dates)
WORK HISTORY & DATES
After a period at Tailem Bend as a medical practitioner, Dr. Cherry moved to Port Adelaide in 1915, and acquired the practice of the late Dr J.W. Gething.
His career up to 1927 is recorded in the following news article titled “Popular Seaport Doctor”:
SIGNIFICANT FAMILY CONNECTIONS
Dr Percival T.S. Cherry’s father, William Herbert Cherry, was recorded as commander of the 17th Light Horse Regiment (South Australian Mounted Rifles):
Dr Percival T.S. Cherry was President of the British Medical Association in South Australia in 1938-1939. The AMA(SA) was formed in 1879, initially as a branch of the British Medical Association. The South Australian branch promoted the formation of a national organisation, and the Australian Medical Association was inaugurated in Adelaide in May 1962.
Dr Cherry also served as President of the Port Adelaide Football Club from 1937 – 1949, and is listed on the Club’s Honour Board (below).
Percival T.S. Cherry died at his home, 23 Brougham Place, Alberton, SA on 28th April 1950.
He was buried at North Road cemetery, Nailsworth.
Written by Karyn Baker, CALHN health Museum Volunteer