Royal Adelaide Hospital Chapel

From Humble Beginnings

Pastoral care has been part of the hospital since the very early days. Initially, it was offered by visiting ministers, who provided ‘religious services in the room set apart for that purpose’ (Annual Report, 1879).

In 1881 the nurses dining room in the East Wing was being used as a chapel on Sunday afternoons: a harmonium was supplied by one of the churches.

Prior to 1888, the chapel served a dual function with the operating theatre, in the main body of the hospital. This was not unusual for the time, as there are fewer operations and the procedures were limited.

Reverend William Peterson, an Anglican Chaplain at the RAH in the 1970s

“Last Sunday I attended the Anglican Service at the Adelaide Hospital. This begins at 9.30am and consists of a shortened form of the Morning Prayer, the singing of hymns, and the delivery of a short address. The whole service lasts little longer than three-quarets of an hour. The congregation was small, consisting of sixteen patients, the head nurse, who plays the harmonium, and one or two visitors. What struck me most was the cheerfulness of the service and the heartiness of the congregation … “

Evening Journal, p4, 29/06/1888

Exterior of ENT Theatre which was also used for religious services

In 1921 several nurses considered using the basement in the Nurses Home as a chapel, as they found the current arrangement in the East Wing to be unsatisfactory.  They petitioned the board for permission for church services to be conducted there, however facilities for church services had never received a high priority and so their request was denied. 

When plans were being made for a new administrative building in 1923, a deputation from the Council of Churches approached the board and requested that the new building include a chapel.  However, the deputation failed in their appeal and the board once again rejected the request. For a short time, the Chapel was situated in the old 1891 mortuary building!

In 1939 the old IMVS student’s laboratory building was converted to a Nurse’s Chapel, paid for by the Commissioners of Charitable Funds.  It was named the GK Soward Chapel after the late Mr George Klewitz Soward, who was on the Commissioners Board for many years.

The GK Soward Chapel was used for services from 1939 to 1968.

In 1962 as part of the rebuild of the Royal Adelaide Hospital, the staff block (now known as the Residential Wing), was allotted space for the Medical Superintendent as well as a chapel to seat 200 people. 

In 1972 the chapel was built attached to the Nurses Residential Wing within the grounds of the Royal Adelaide Hospital. This Chapel replaced the previous 1940 Soward Chapel During the major demolishing and rebuilding of the RAH between 1964 and 1969, a demountable building was used on the grounds of Ayers House as a chapel.  When the chapel was opened in the Residential Building, the demountable chapel was purchased in 1970 by to St Luke’s Anglican Church, Modbury.  In the 1970s there were three full time Hospital Chaplains at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, Anglican, Catholic and Uniting Church.

There is a plaque on the wall of that building which states:         

The first inter-denominational service in the chapel was held on Sunday, 9th April 1972.

For a time during the tenure of Fr. Oliver O’Brien there were two Masses celebrated in the Chapel every week, a Tuesday and Sunday mass. In time these stopped due to a drop in numbers, as less than 10 people would regularly attend a service and none of those people were patients. Non-Catholic Services were celebrated in the Royal Adelaide Hospital Chapel every Sunday, with each denomination taking alternate Sunday Services. On 22nd December 1996 the last Catholic Mass was celebrated at the hospital chapel.

On the 25th August 2017 the Chapel at the Royal Adelaide Hospital was decommissioned.

A ceremony was held to officially end worship at Royal Adelaide Hospital site. Memories were shared about past spiritual care on the site and hopes for the future. Blessings were given as spiritual worship is moved from this site to the new location at the New Royal Adelaide Hospital. The final stage of the ceremony was the removing of artefacts and symbols to respect and remember the chapel.

“Today we have celebrated with thanksgiving the life, work and presence of this Chapel at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. It has been a gift of life to many. This chapel was dedicated in 1970, 47 years ago. We now declare that this chapel is decommissioned and is no longer a place of worship”.

Decommissioning Ceremony, 25th August 2017

In 2018 Renewal SA, who now run Lot Fourteen (the Former Royal Adelaide Hospital site), were seeking expressions of interest from businesses or individuals to move into the space.

Part of the Advertisement:

Lot Fourteen -FREE RENT. The Chapel is a retro-looking space with light filled windows, a raised stage and a main room area of approximately 200sqm. It also has a balcony area with a view of the Chapel Lawns. The space can cater to events, workshops and cocktail functions. A small kitchenette and four smaller rooms are also available for the operator’s use. Read more and apply here. Expressions of interest close 2pm Thursday, 07 March.

Renewal SA- Lot Fourteen

In 2018 the chapel was used as a bar and recreation space. Free “Hello Friday” events were held on the last Friday of every month and included food, wine, live music, table tennis and outside lawn games. Then in May 2019 “Mangiasti” an Italian cafe opened in the chapel and provided lunches and catering to the many tenants working on the old hospital site.

What used to be the RAH Chapel was eventually demolished in 2022.

Spiritual Care Moves Forward

As the Royal Adelaide Hospital moved sites in 2017, so did spiritual care.

The Spiritual Care Centre (SCC) was created at the new site to provide patients and their families with spiritual, religious and emotional support to enhance health and wellbeing during their hospital stay. These services are also delivered in times of trauma, ill health and sadness.

The SCC is a quiet space for reflection, prayer and religious practices. It is available to all religions and there are Spiritual Care Practitioners and Chaplin’s who can help with spiritual and religious needs. The team at SCC also call upon other contacts or religious practitioners in the community such as a Rabbi, Iman or Priest. They also work as a collective with the Wellness Service and the Centre for Creative Health to facilitate opportunities for self-expression such as music, writing and art which have a powerful impact on a person’s healing journey.

Spiritual Care Service is at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, Level 3, Zone B.

Written by Kellie Branson, CALHN Health Museum

Edited for Histories by Bill Frame, CALHN Health Museum Volunteer