Dr Charles Trevor Turner (Major AMC AIF) completed a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Adelaide on 16 December 1914.
Dr Turner left Australia for the front during World War I. Throughout his service in the Australian Imperial Forces, Captain Charles Trevor Turner treated over 500 soldiers under severe shell fire, with a large percent requiring special eye work. He remained at the front for the whole operation in a hastily constructed dug-out. In recognition, the Military Cross was awarded to Captain Turner for his work during the battle at Pozieres on 23 July 1916.
In further recognition of his service for the Australian Imperial Force in an active theatre of war he was awarded the 1914-15 Star Medal, the British War Medal (for completing 28 days of mobilised service between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918), and the Victory Medal (as a recipient of the 1914-15 Star and British War Medal and for serving in active war between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918).
On his return to South Australia, Captain Turner became Medical Superintendent of the Adelaide Hospital on 10 July 1919 until he resigned to go into private practice in 1925. From 1925 to 1929 he was Acting Honorary Assistant Gynaecologist at the Adelaide Hospital, followed by Honorary Assistant Surgeon from 1930 to 1934. From 1941 to 1944 he enlisted in the Australian Army Medical Services. He became a registered Medical Practitioner on 9 September 1946 by the Medical Board of Victoria and set up his residence in Elsternwick, Victoria.
“Turner’s two outstanding characteristics as Superintendent were his clinical acumen and his sharp and sarcastic tongue […] His principal interest was in surgery and he will be remembered as the wicket-keeper for the Honorary Staff cricket team.” – J. Estcourt Hughes, 1967.
Dr Turner is recognised as the first person to perform blood transfusions at the (Royal) Adelaide Hospital:
“It is generally accepted that Dr Charles Turner, [then the] Medical Superintendent, Royal Adelaide Hospital, gave the earliest transfusions in the hospital in the mid-1920s, probably 1925, using a 20mL syringe and a two way stopcock.” – Dr R. W. Beal, A.M., Royal Adelaide Hospital Foundation Day Address, 12 July 1989.