Name/TitleNurse: Matron Irene Kennedy
About this objectIrene Mary Kennedy was born in Adelaide and completed her nursing training at the Adelaide Hospital in 1936. After midwifery training at the Queen Victoria Hospital and nursing positions in Adelaide and Port Lincoln, she returned to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 1945 to the staff of the newly established Blood Transfusion Unit.
In 1947 Miss Kennedy ward awarded a Florence Nightingale scholarship to study for the Tutor Sister diploma at the Royal College of Nursing in London. Soon after her return to Adelaide in 1949, Matron Scrymgour arranged for her to take small groups of new nurses for introductory lectures, and from this the first Preliminary Training School was established. Miss Kennedy continued to develop the course for 5 years before moving into nursing administration.
She was appointed Assistant Matron in 1956 and in 1958, gained qualifications in nursing administration at the College of Nursing, Australia. In 1959 she was appointed Deputy Matron and in 1966, succeeded Miss Zelma Huppatz as Matron. The title of the appointment was changed to Superintendent of Nursing in 1970. She retired from RAH in December 1973 and the following year was appointed an Officer of the British Empire in recognition of her services in nursing.
Miss Kennedy made important contributions to nursing administration, nursing education and staff health during her term. She also served on many professional bodies including the RANF, the Florence Nightingale Memorial Committee and the College of Nursing, Australia (she was national President in 1971).
Measurements19 x 24 cm.
Subject and Association DescriptionCross reference: 4.1B.147; 4.1B.156; 4.1B.169; 4.1B.176; 4.1B.200; 4.2.71
Portfolio TitleIndividual Nurses
Medium and MaterialsBlack and White Glossy.
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved